I consider myself a traditional realist painter. I’m inspired by finding the beauty in subtle, intimate scenes all around me. I work with oil paint because I find it the most versatile and suitable medium. My brushes and knives allow me a multitude of ways to describe and indicate an impression of my subject.
Primarily working en plein air, I capture impressions of the landscape around me. In working from life I’m constantly challenged by the passage of time but I feel that this is what gives my artwork its own unique voice. My paintings are a product of direct observation and experience of the landscape.
I may pass what appears to be a mundane scene every day but for a small window of time, when the light is right, it transforms into something extraordinary, and that’s what I’m always looking for and trying to capture.
About the Artist:
Dario Falzon (b. 1979)
Currently lives and works in Sydney, Australia
I was born in Bogota, Colombia, 1979, and adopted by Australian parents. I grew up in Western Sydney, primarily around the Hawkesbury area. As a boy I was always drawing; If I didn’t have pen and paper in hand it was an odd occurrence. This continued through much of my youth. However, In my teens I became involved in music and was part of a hip hop group. I went on to be a solo artist, releasing an EP and two solo albums and appearing on various hip hop compilations.
In my late twenties I felt that I needed a creative change. My artistic expression came full circle when I enrolled in a community college course studying the basics of art. I had returned to my first creative love. Shortly thereafter I found the Julian Ashton Art School and enrolled on a part-time basis. It was around this point in time that I began to fully appreciate my interest in landscape painting and I began to seek out specific artists and workshops that could help me develop my skills, learning from respected Australian artists such as Kasey Sealy and Todd Whisson.
In 2016 I was fortunate to become an international brand ambassador for Michael Harding Paints, accompanying them to the Plein Air Convention in Tucson, Arizona. While there I was enrolled as a faculty member and gave a demonstration of my painting technique.
I have exhibited in group shows and national art prizes such as the annual Camberwell Art Show and Victor Harbor Rotary club show, where I was awarded a bronze award in 2016. I was also a recent finalist in the prestigious Len Fox Art Award, a biennial art award show held by the Castlemaine Art Museum in Victoria, Australia.
I am an Exhibiting Member of the Royal Art Society of NSW and brand ambassador for Michael Harding Paints.
- Rod Wong (Julian Ashton Art School)
- Sam Wade (Julian Ashton Art School)
- Jessica Ashton (Julian Ashton Art School)
- Kasey Sealy
- Todd Whisson
- 2018 – ‘Chasing the Line Drawing Exhibition’, Royal Art Society of NSW (group exhibition)
- 2017 – ‘RAS Christmas Exhibition’, Royal Art Society of NSW (group exhibition)
- 2017 – ‘My Sydney’, Governor Phillip Tower, Sydney (solo exhibition)
- 2017 – Autumn Exhibition 2017, Macquarie Towns Arts Society Inc. (group exhibition)
- 2017 – Singleton Art Prize 2017 (group exhibition)
- 2016 – Finalist – 2016 Len Fox Art Award, Castlemaine Art Museum, Castlemaine, Victoria (group exhibition)
- 2016 – 2016 Camberwell Art Show, Swinburne University, Hawthorne Melbourne (group exhibition)
- 2016 – The 37th Rotary Club of Victor Harbor Art Show, Victor Harbor, South Australia (group exhibition)
- 2015 – “The Real Refuses”, Tap Gallery, Darlinghurst, Sydney (group exhibition)
- 2015 – Camberwell Art Show, Swinburne University, Hawthorne Melbourne (group exhibition)
- 2014 – “En Plein Air”, Wedge Gallery, Kinokuniya, Sydney (group exhibition)
- 2014 – Julian Ashton Student & Teacher Exhibition, Sydney Mechanics School of Arts, Sydney
- 2013 – Julian Ashton Student & Teacher Exhibition, Sydney Mechanics School of Arts, Sydney
- 2011 – Julian Ashton Student & Teacher Exhibition, Sydney Mechanics School of Arts, Sydney
- 2010 – Julian Ashton Student & Teacher Exhibition, Sydney Mechanics School of Arts, Sydney
- Highly Commended, Traditional – Singleton Art Prize 2017
- First Prize – Oil or Acrylic – Autumn Exhibition 2017, Macquarie Towns Arts Society Inc.
- Bronze Acquisitive Award Prize – The Victor Harbor Art Show 2016. Sponsored by Victor Harbor Real Estate “Professionals”
- Rosemary & Co Artists Brushes: Newsletter (August Edition, Issue 9, Rosemary & Co Artists Brushes) – “Plein Air and Finishing in the Studio” by Dario Falzon. pg.12. (http://issuu.com/0li4tw/docs/newsletter-aug-2015)
- Australian Artist Magazine (August Edition, Issue 374, International Artist Pty. Ltd.) – Artist’s Pictorial “Landscape Marvels: Dario Falzon”. pps 40 – 48.
- Art/Edit (April to June, Issue 06, Magnesium Media) – Landscape Virtuoso Feature